Thursday, February 03, 2005

Shout out to Cousin Brant

Cousin Brant's been lurking. He emailed me the other day to say:

> So today I did something I've never done before: I visited the Country
> Music section. I was nervous at first, going straight there from the
> office, with no boots and no cowboy hat. Would they be able to tell that I
> voted Democrat? But it didn't matter, because there was nobody there (the
> advantage of shopping for CDs at Borders), and they'd filed Neko Case under
> Rock/Pop anyway, somewhere between Bad Religion and Depeche Mode. I'm not
> completely sure why. There are entire songs where I'm wondering why I'm
> listening to country (the only CD they had was "The Tigers Have Spoken," so
> I got that, but I'll probably pick up "Blacklisted" as soon as I find it),
> but then that voice kicks in. That unmistakable voice, like velvet thunder
> - it could be gospel or opera as easily as country. Maybe that kind of
> voice doesn't have a genre. Anyway, thanks. I'd never have discovered her
> by accident.
>


Brant: Glad you like Neko. She's lovely. It's still awful though when you find yourself singing her version of "This little light of mine", which is cool when she sings it, but when you're at a dive bar waiting for the (1) bathroom to open, and the possible Vietnam vet/meth dealer gives you the eye, you realize it's not very cool to
sing "Little Light" if your name isn't Neko.

The big news here, lurking record label execs, is that you can improve your artists record sales by sending me free cds. Or at the very least, don't sue me for putting up your artists' work.

Who's going to go buy The Go! Team?

More Brant:

> I feel a little stupid asking about it, since you're keeping a public
> record of it, and it's not like you're cryptic, but - how are you
> doing? L.A., musical rapture, and Zoloft, basically? Is it going well?
>


All: I'm in LA. No musical rapture until the 24th in SF for the Polyphonic Spree (my friend Hazelrigg's girlfriend has some strange phobia in regards to Spree singer Tim DeLaughter - this deserves its own post), Zoloft - no complaints.
Freelancing for at least a week (for the dead adfriends: at JWT/LA, on dot-bust survivor Ariba, for Radcliffe's ex boss Shyam), and then I'm going to take my book around to all of the places in town.

So, no mp3 posts until at least the 12th.

Be wonderful
m



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home