Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Correction: Portland (OR) Not Officially Dead

(ed: updated 2/3) The Golden Age of Portland Advertising Creatives Intoxication has come to an official close. I don't have a link to prove it, but it's totally true.

Mike & Shelley Ward - gone, never to return. like ever. really. Ward has travelled to the 4 corners of the earth but not come to Puddletown.
Michael Butterworth - possibly dead, possibly in Moscow with Kemper and Kemper's coke habit, most likely at LaCenter. but pointedly, not in Stumptown.
Joel Bloom, Liz King - Moved to yuppieville Brooklyn. Hard to say whether or not Joel realizes he's moved away.
Mark Radcliffe - took the baby step move to Seattle. now moving back to Boston (actually Wenham, as if anybody from the West Coast knows or cares about the difference.
Me - half in, half out for the past year (known as the Freelance Hokey-Pokey). Currently freelancing in LA for Radcliffe's old beloved boss Shyam.
And Now, Marc & Amy Sobier (+1!), and Hart Rusen & Alison Forsythe-Rusen (+1!) are moving to freaking SF. They'll be working for Goodby (fuckers) and the girls plan on spending their spare time opening a Jamba Juice with Hazelrigg's brother's partner Myrick.

See? The Golden Age is dead! Long live the Golden Age.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we all come back into town for a send-off, I fear we'd walk the streets in a pack, arm-in-arm on our way to the Lowbrow, where we'd stop, look in the window, and see a younger, more innocent group of adfolk and their significant others/hangers-on in our back booth -- cue track:

http://moviethemes.net/music/S/stelmo.mid

"y'know,... this isn't real. You know what it is? It's St. Elmo's Fire. Electric flashes of light that appear in dark skies out of nowhere. Sailors would guide entire journeys by it, but the joke was on them... there was no fire. There wasn't even a St. Elmo. They made it up. They made it up because they thought they needed it to keep them going when times got tough, just like you're making up all of this. We're all going through this. It's our time at the edge."

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mate,

I agree with k8...what am I?

No hard feelings migs...I understand. You still gots a friend in me.

keener

8:24 AM  
Blogger miguel said...

OK, qualifications for being mentioned in the moving out of Portland posting: You must be either the blog owner (me) or have actually permanently moved out of Portland. or have planned to.

Raise your hand if you qualify and I didn't mention you. thought so.

11:40 PM  
Blogger miguel said...

OK, I see apologies are due. I conveniently forgot that the title was Portland (Officially) Dead. What I meant to say was that the Golden Age of Portland Advertising Drinking Creatives is officially over.

I'd also add:
Cole & Weber, shut down. Aaron Robnet, in Brooklyn.
Michele Manning (creative drinking support) moved to Lake Oswego, which you cannot convince me is a part of Portland.
I don't even recognize any creatives at bowling anymore.
And now that Heinsma's all in the futurefatherly way, it's been ages since anyone's seen him at the bath house.
Again, it was not my intention to claim the entire city dead, but merely a certain subculture that has outlived it's usefulness.

Hear that sound? That's the Lowbrow closing its doors permanently and our dealer following a career in massage therapy.

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't quite figure who's blog this is, but my name is Tony Norman. I went to the Creative Circus with a lot of the people listed in this post. I've been a Copywriter in New Orleans for the past 4 years, but hurricne Katrina put a stop to that. I'm trying to get in touch with anyone I went to school with, and see if I can get some contacts in other cities and hopefully find a job. Mike Ward e-mailed me about Joel Bloom and Liz King going to New York, but when I googled them, this is the only link I got. Do you know how to get in touch with them? if you or anyone reading this knows me, please e-mail me at tonynorman50@yahoo.com. Sorry to clog up your blog with my crap, but I'm trying to reach as many people as I can that are in advertising. Hope you can help, and don't mind me using your site for a shameless plug.

Tony Norman

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home