Wednesday, November 24, 2004

A Little Yellow Dog: An Easy Rawlins Mystery by Walter Mosley

Finished reading A Little Yellow Dog: An Easy Rawlins Mystery by Walter Mosley tonight, with tim-MAH! the dog sitting next to me on the couch. I think his struggles and search for redemption whilst being tempted by, erm, previous indulgences kinda hit me and helped put me in this strange mood.

Btw, I'm a bookmarker. And a blogger. If I could (and someday I will, ohyes, I will) I'd blog the great sections of the book and put 'em up for your edification.

OK, I'll put one in the comments section of this post.

Anyhow, about the book: From the pub: November 1963: Easy's settled into a steady gig as a school custodian. It's a quiet, simple existence — but a few moments of ecstasy with a sexy teacher will change all that.

When the lady vanishes, Easy's stuck with a couple of corpses, the cops on his back, and a little yellow dog who's nobody's best friend. With his not-so-simple past snapping at his heels, and with enemies old and new looking to get even, Easy must kiss his careful little life good-bye — and step closer to the edge....


From someone else: "'Early 1960s black Los Angeles is alive in the look and talk of the book....Easy is a cool dude struggling to stay alive and make sense of his tough and tawdry world.' Boston Sunday Globe "

1 Comments:

Blogger miguel said...

From A Little Yellow Dog (pg 253)

I knew the chance I was taking bringing Mouse back into the street. That was his element.

"I'm th'ough wit' hustlin'," he said, disgusted. "Sick of it. All that street shit. I won't touch it."
"But you don't wanna stop me?" I was curious.
"Stop you what?"
"Stop me from givin' dope to a gangster."
"Why I care about that?" he asked.
"Because it's wrong."
"But it ain't my wrong, man. It ain't mine. That's yo' wrong an' yo' problem."
"But you still sittin' here with me," I said.
"But I ain't you, Easy. I sit here and you sit over there. That's all there is to it."
He might have changed but Mouse would always be different.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home