Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Burning Man Defies Katrina? / In the wake of epic tragedy, how can a massive, feral party in the desert possibly matter?

Wrung out and crazy from Burning Man and getting outside myself and then toooo far outside myself and then having to come back and deal with raw screaming heebie-jeebie dreams about dogs attacking children and I'm attempting to break my sleeping pill addiction and work is a bit nuts and spent part of Monday crying catching up on the news of Katrina.

But here's Mark Morford with his usual bits of poignant lunacy and I can't tell if I'm calming or exacerbating my condition.

Burning Man Defies Katrina? / In the wake of epic tragedy, how can a massive, feral party in the desert possibly matter?: "Look at it this way: Katrina slammed us all in one direction, toward pathos and melancholy and emptiness, the sense that we are but fragile and unbalanced things, ever teetering on the edge of the abyss, confused and scared and not nearly as secure or socially healthy as we like to think. And then we have events like Burning Man to help, in some small way, to slam us right back, toward heat and celebration and energy, toward survival, toward frustration and laughter and raw bleating life. What value, that?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home