Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Onion | Shakespeare Was, Like, The Ultimate Rapper

I actually agree with the thought here. Been saying it for years.

The Onion | Shakespeare Was, Like, The Ultimate Rapper: "As an English teacher, I have to make The Bard resonate with today's youth. I get the same questions every year: 'Shakespeare? What does this dead white guy have to do with me? He doesn't know where I come from, what I'm all about. He's not from the streets.'

Well, what's totally fresh about Shakespeare is that he wrote for ordinary people. His homies. My students say, 'Then why did he write in this snooty poetry that no one can understand?' Well, that's just it. His poetry was the best street rhyming of his time. And Shakespeare was the best 'player' of them all! Even today, 400 years later, Shakespeare is the world's ultimate rapper!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home