Thursday, July 28, 2005

You Ain't No Picasso: Now That's What I Call Indie Covers! volume 1

18 tracks to download at this link.

MY favorites are the Ben Gibbard - Girls Just Want to Have Fun and the Elliot Smith - Rowdy Friends.

Cause I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock'n'roll.

You Ain't No Picasso: Now That's What I Call Indie Covers! volume 1: "Now That's What I Call Indie Covers! volume 1
The idea behind this was a simple one - collect enough mp3s of indie bands covering top 40 hits to fill up a cd. After I had been putting this mix together, I started to wonder what drives a smaller band to cover a famous one. Is it the kitsch appreciation that leads to a tongue-in-cheek cover (such as apparently is the case with Gibbard's cover of Complicated)? Or perhaps seasoned indie vets like Ted Leo realize that there is something undeniably catchy about the newest Kelly Clarkson single. Either way, these covers have lead to some interesting musical moments and some hilarious stage banter. The majority of these are live recordings, which makes it all the more interesting in my opinion.
"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home