Monday, January 10, 2005

#2 For Lovers - Wolfman featuring Peter Doherty

"For Lovers" by Wolfman featuring Peter Doherty.

From complete madness comes utter beauty.

Despite a litany of drug and legal problems, Pete Doherty of the Libertines recorded this song with his mate Wolfman, who I know nothing about.

"I'm running away with you. That's all I ever do."

For me, this was on a mix CD I titled 'Crushed'. The girl I had a ginormous crush on pretty much freaked out and abandoned me. She lives in a different city, and I just kept Hope against Hope that we'd find a time and a place to get together again. Kinda like Chasing Amy. In my imagination, we kept things together and found a way.

And instead, she was running away.

I can't remember, am I a romantic drunk or a drunken romantic?

(Note the line about 'Hear the Jailor, rattling his key'. Nice metaphorical reference to your time in prison, Pete).

Guardian Unlimited | Arts features | The Guardian profile: Pete Doherty

Guardian Unlimited | Arts features | The Guardian profile: Pete Doherty: "Doherty, who has admitted an addiction to heroin and crack cocaine, has already taken life at twice the speed of most rock stars who lived fast and died young. In 2003, he was dumped from touring with the Libertines - the band he formed with Carl Barat - robbed Barat's flat while the rest of the Libertines were on tour; was jailed for the burglary; and was emotionally reunited with his band, whose debut album was a critical and commercial hit.
This year, he recorded the band's equally celebrated second album while bodyguards kept him and Barat apart.
After failing two attempts at rehab, his then manager, Alan McGee, paid to send him on a harsher rehab programme at a Thai monastery. Doherty fled but was told he couldn't rejoin his band until he addressed his addictions."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home