Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Crush Story

So, approximately, two years later, it's time for the story of The Crush.

This is only my retelling. I miss that opportunity and the feeling of hope...

apologies for the gramarrical errors:

The story of a crush

The Crush, pt. I

I had what I would call a semi-date with a girl in Seattle, but the truth is, I really had no idea if it was a date or if we were just hanging out. I’d sorta known xxxx for a while, through badass fierce friend Niki, but never really had a good chance to hang out.

She and her partner (Creative not Sapphic), the other art director Monica Taylor (Seattle) were introduced to me at my friend Niki’s housewarming party the previous September. Somehow, we’d got talking about how they didn’t know too many Seattle folk, despite living there for a while, so I invited them to the Halloween party(1st edition) in Lake Quinalt.

They came.
Monica and her bf _____ came as Montecore and Siegfried. (Side note: I missed a great opportunity to run around the bars in Portland as an animal control person. I’d have a fake tazer, fake tranquilizer darts and a real loop to put around the Montecores. I’d subdue them, and then run out of the bar.)

xxxx as Gwyneth from Seven (from the neck-up), wearing a box around her head with a fake blood slit throat. From the neck-down, she was Gwyneth from the Oscars. She pulled both off stunningly.

I thought there might have been some chemistry, but if so, it didn’t play out then, as she spent a lot of time with another guy. Lotsa glances exchanged, I thought. Or hoped. Besides, that’s when Molly and I, part II began.

Regardless, we all kept in vague touch via email after Halloween 2003, and when I went up to Seattle to freelance at Copacino, we arranged for the three of us to have lunch. Which was nice. It might’ve been the first time that I’d talked to Xxxx without alcohol. She was lovely and fascinating and intelligent. It turns out that she’s really into music – her and Monica were vacationing together to Austin for the SXSW Music Festival the following week.

(Again, it’s worth mentioning that she and Monica are creative partners.)

I was only scheduled for 2 weeks worth of freelance which was to end at the same time Xxxx was due to fly back from Austin. Luckily, though, Copacino extended me a week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home