Monday, January 17, 2005

Standing Here - Stone Roses On Top Of The World

Standing Here - Stone Roses On Top Of The World

So, Jen Leo is doing me the kind favor of editing The Story of The Crush. I think writing the story of The Crush has lasted a lot, lot longer than the actual events described therein. (btw, to be clear, The Crush is NOT Jen Leo.)

But I'm not bitter about the whole thing. Really. Just disappointed and sad and yet vaguely hopeful. Like a good Cubs fan has been trained to be.

As Kate has said though, at least a couple of really good mixCDs did come out of it. (Crush & Crushed, respectively).

One song on the Crush mix, that's always represented a certain moment in any crush to me is Standing Here by The Stone Roses. The song goes from a Hendrix/Beatles stew of guitar and harmony and sunshine, matching the giddyness of a crush, to the coda, (which their record label has egregiously left off the compilation discs) which takes all of the giddyness and wraps its arms into slow and tender.

The lyrics tend towards typical Roses nonsense, but the words, in their, erm, Manchesterness, still capture the glorious moment in a relationship when you realize that the crush likes you just as much in return.

"And I could feel a hurricane when you shout, 'I should be safe forever, in your arms. I could be safe forever in your arms.'"



(Additionally, this should of been somewhere in the top 10 old songs of the year post. But, it's been one of my favorite songs for about 15 years now. And should make an appearance anytime I have a crush who likes me back, even if just for a short period of time.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home