Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Flow

Not the Naughty By Nature song, but the book by Mihalyi Czikszentmihalyi.

Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience.

From butler-bowdon.com, "The bringing of order to consciousness, ‘control of the mind’, is therefore the key to happiness. But what gives us this control? Czikszentmihalyi’s research began not by looking at the nature of happiness per se, but by asking the question, ‘When are people most happy?’ That is, what exactly are we doing when we feel enjoyment or fulfilment? People in a state of 'flow' are those who feel feel they are engaged in a creative unfolding of something larger; athletes call it ‘being in the zone’, mystics have described as ‘ecstasy’, and artists ‘rapture’.

You and I may recognise our flow experiences as simply those activities (work, a hobby, some kind of service) which seem to make time stand still. The book’s best definition of flow comes from the ancient Taoist scholar Chuang Tzu. In a parable, Ting, the esteemed court butcher of Lord Wen-hui, describes his way of working: ‘Perception and understanding have come to a stop and spirit moves where it wants.’ You stop ‘thinking’ and just do."


Me again. I kinda felt this way whilst learning poi this past summer.

Fucking back.

Incidentally, I consulted my PT about whether or not more poi was in my future. Currently, she says that i can't do the corkscrew move. it's verboten.

and the overhead butterfly is a semi-bad idea

BUT, she said that the general forward and backward movements are actually good for my back. some of the twisting movements where my torso is bent are bad, and i need to learn to engage my stomach whenever i do start to bend.

So, sit-ups aplenty are in my future. And possibly some poi.

Oh, but the original part of this post was to whine about the lack of flow like experiences in my life. And I don't know if i'm bored silly by JSheen and/or unemployment, or if it's advertising, and i need to go and find something that involves a little more math.

Or maybe all of this is a reaction against HealthNet's ricockulous regulations of Welbutrin and what they're willing to pay for. I'm rambling.

Have a nice night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home