Wednesday, January 08, 2003

Phil Knight is in my yoga class.

ADWEEK.COM PREMIUM SERVICES Art & Commerce: Ohm No!
A commercial pose is the last thing yoga needs
Nike is counting on the "yoga nistas." You know the type: upwardly mobile women who practice yoga in order to attain inner peace and firmer buns. The athletic-wear company wants to convince this group that its new cross-training shoe, the Kyoto, is just what they need for their next yoga session.

So convince me. I can't boast that I've practiced yoga for 15 years, as Christy Turlington does in her new book, Living Yoga. But I have dabbled enough to know that I don't need shoes for it.

Nike admits as much on its Web site. "Yes, we know you don't wear shoes during yoga," the site says before cutting to the chase. "Snatch this stretchy upper that molds to your foot to create a seamless line when paired with yoga pants." Yes, the sales strategy is based on the hunch that I want to be fashionable yet comfortable on my way to class. Nike also sells pants, tops and a yoga stretching kit (mat included) at its Nike Goddess stores.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home