Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Schrodinger's Credit Card?

So, I received a new credit card in the mail from MBNA. It wasn't one of those pre-approved crack cocaine cards that they send to college students, but a replacement card for my MBNA which expires in June of next year.

Strange thing is, it's a "Quantum" card. It was a little translucent, which is where I guess they invoke Stephen Hawking.

On the phone with the csrep, she tells me that they've gone ahead and 'upgraded' me from my Platinum Visa. Apparently, Quantum is above Platinum which is above Gold. Just more creeping Supersize-ism in our culture. Btw, who would pull out a Gold Card on a date anymore?

Anyway, they've also 'gone ahead' and 'expanded my credit line', which i didn't think was possible without a supercomputer, a particle accelerator and a slide rule.

She tells me the number, and now I realize that in addition to invoking quantum physics to make the card, now they've used scientific notation to describe my credit limit. Anyone know what 7 x 10 to the 12th is? I'm pretty sure I could buy the Montreal Expos with my new Quantum card.

Aw, damn. I should've asked the rep if she new what a quantum was. Ah, well.

I already have an American Express Blue card which hopefully, is still sitting in a drawer somewhere at home along with my Malibu Grand Prix 'Driver's License'.

Here's infononsense from CardWeb.com:

Translucent Cards and now the first translucent VISA and MasterCard is here. MBNA received this week its first shipment of its translucent Quantum VISA/MasterCard to distribute to new customers.

Last month, MBNA introduced the Quantum bank credit card offering a credit line up to $1 million and with an optional air mileage program that enables cardholders to earn up to one million miles per year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home